Soba noodles are a first for us and the base ingredient in the tasty Coconut Citrus Soba Noodle dish – great as a side item or as a meal for the kiddos. We also use shiitake and crimini mushrooms to create new savory pizza and salad winter options – both a must to get you through the season. And guest favorites Red Chicken Melt, Tomato Basil soup and Cashew Butternut Squash soup are back just in time for cool winter temps.
“The winter menu celebrates mushrooms, with two new menu items featuring hand-cut shiitake and crimini mushrooms,” explains Chef Nate Weir. “Highly sustainable – they grow in almost any setting – and seasonally delicious, mushrooms are packed with health benefits. Studies show shiitake mushrooms support our immune system, which is especially important in the winter. Shiitakes can also help prevent cardiovascular disease and are one of the best dietary non-animal sources of bioavailable iron, which is great for vegetarians.”
“We introduced soba noodles not only because they taste great and are good for you, but also because they are an excellent choice this time of year – in Japan, they are traditionally eaten on New Years Eve,” continues Chef Nate. “Studies show we tend to eat more during cold months. As temperatures drop, many begin to crave foods higher in carbohydrates and fat, like pasta and baked goods. Light but satisfying, soba noodles are a good source of fiber and protein, and can help fill you up and help you feel full longer. They also contain only about half the calories and fat of the same amount of regular white spaghetti noodles.”
Meet Our Winter Menu Items:
- Coconut Citrus Soba Noodles – This Homestyle Plate side and Happy & Healthy Kids menu option offers a light, nutty flavor and great texture from the buckwheat soba noodles and coconut. Crisp red cabbage, carrot, scallion, cilantro, mint, sesame and ginger add a light crunch, while the citrus vinaigrette keeps the dish bright.
- Wild Mushroom Pizza - The perfect winter pizza, this hearty and rich entree offers the classic flavor pairing of seared wild mushrooms and gorgonzola. A crème fraîche base brings the flavors together, while red onion and wilted arugula provide bright color and a peppery flavor.
- Mushroom Pear Salad – This fresh salad also features seared wild shiitake and crimini mushrooms roasted with oil and seasoning. Hand shaved bartlett pear adds a slight sweet, crisp flavor, while goat cheese provides a creamy texture and pecans offer a nutty crunch.
- Red Chicken Melt - A seasonal favorite, this spicy sandwich contains hormone and antibiotic free chicken salad that is light and healthier than traditional chicken salad. Smoky, spicy, vibrant southwestern flavors come from a unique pepita pesto, aged white cheddar, tomato and mixed greens on a ciabatta bun.
- Tomato Basil Soup – Another popular seasonal item, the Tomato Basil soup has returned. Gluten free and vegetarian, this creamy tomato soup includes onion, celery, garlic, basil, sea salt, black pepper, cream, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and tabasco.
- Cashew Butternut Soup – This savory winter soup uses Colorado butternut squash and has a creamy texture from pureed cashews. Gluten free, vegan and dairy free, the soup also contains onion, carrot, parsnips, celery, garlic, shallot, sage, sea salt, black pepper, lemon juice, bay leaf, parsley and tomato paste.